COACHING CODE OF CONDUCT
The athlete/coach relationship is a privileged one. Coaches play a critical role in the personal as well as athletic development of their athletes. They must understand and respect the inherent power imbalance that exists in this relationship and must be extremely careful not to abuse it. Coaches must also recognize that they are conduits through which the values and goals of a sport organization are channeled. Thus how an athlete regards his/her sport is often dependent on the behavior of the coach.
The following Code of Conduct has been developed to aid coaches in achieving a level of behavior, which will allow them to assist their athletes in becoming well rounded, self-confident and productive human beings.
COACHES HAVE A RESPONSIBILITY TO:
1. Treat everyone fairly within the context of their activity, regardless of gender, place of origin, color, sexual orientation, religion, political belief or economic status.
2. Direct comments or criticism at the performance rather than the athlete.
3. Consistently display high personal standards and project a favorable image of their sport and of coaching:
a. Refrain from public criticism of fellow coaches; especially when speaking to the media or recruiting athletes.
b. Abstain from the use of tobacco products while in the presence of his/her athletes and discourage their use by athletes.
c. Abstain from drinking alcoholic beverages while working with athletes.
d. Discourage the use of alcohol in conjunction with athletic events or victory celebrations at the playing site.
e. Refrain from the use of profane, insulting, harassing or otherwise offensive language in the conduct of his/her duties.
4. Ensure that the activity being undertaken is suitable for the age, experience, ability and fitness level of the athletes and educate athletes as to their responsibilities in contributing to a safe environment.
5. Communicate and co-operate with registered medical practitioners in the diagnosis, treatment and management of their athletes' medical and psychological problems. Consider the athletes future health and well-being as foremost when making decisions regarding an injured athletes' ability to continue playing or training.
6. Recognize and accept when to refer athletes to other coaches or sport specialists. Allow athletes' goals to take precedence over their own.
7. Regularly seek ways of increasing professional development and self-awareness.
8. Treat opponents and officials with due respect both in victory and defeat and encourage athletes to act accordingly. Actively encourage athletes to uphold the rules of their sport and the spirit of such rules.
9. In the case of minors, communicate and co-operate with the athletes parents or legal guardians, involving them in management decisions pertaining to their child's development.
1. Ensure the safety of the athletes with whom they work.
2. At no time become intimately and/or sexually involved with their athletes. This includes requests for sexual favors or threat of reprisal for the rejection of such requests.
3. Respect athletes dignity; verbal or physical behaviors that constitute harassment or abuse are unacceptable.
4. Never advocate or condone the use of drugs or other banned performance enhancing substances.
5. Never provide under age athletes with alcohol.
COACHES FAIR PLAY CODE:
1. I will teach my athletes to play fairly and to respect the rules, umpires and opponents.
2. I will be reasonable when scheduling games and practices remembering that young athletes have other interests and obligations.
3. I will ensure that all athletes get equal instruction, support and fair playing time.
4. I will not ridicule or yell at my athletes for making mistakes or for performing poorly. I will remember that children play to have fun and must be encouraged to have confidence in themselves.
5. I will make sure that equipment and facilities are safe and match the athletes ages and abilities.
6. I will remember that children need a coach they can respect. I will be generous with praise and set a good example.
7. I will obtain proper training and continue to upgrade my coaching skills.